Okay, so things are not exactly flowing on this project. Or even on the other project.
Rather than listing my whinges, here are some things I think might help:
1. More exercise. This is incredibly closely tied to writing for me.
2. Less linearity. I keep getting stuck on "what happens next". Give it up and write the bits I have.
3. Don't pick things that aren't ripe. Tied to less linearity: it's foolhardy to insist on waiting for some piece to ripen on my schedule rather than writing the bits that are currently ripe. I'm just not skilled enough yet to be worrying about efficiency for efficiency's sake.
4. More gathering. Gathering, for me, is not research, nor intentionally going around finding things to write about. It's the process of experiencing life through a writer's lens, filing away the bits that stick to the flypaper. This post by Tea & Cookies
is an example of what I mean by gathering.
5. Don't depend on pressure for propulsion. Sometimes I find that after a period of not writing, the ideas have built up steam and come pouring out. Sometimes not, so I need to not depend on it, and not panic if they don't.
I wish there were more gold star activities on this list -- things I can Do rather than Remember/Be. Maybe that will be the next post.